I suggest you ...

Shortcut Keys?

Windows has a neat shortcut feature of allowing you to press "windows button" + "a number" to open a pinned program. Maybe bins could implement a sub-shortcut feature? like maybe holding "windows" + a number or letter corresponding to the bins group, then pressing another button corresponding to a program within that bins group. Or maybe some other shortcut feature.

63 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    WilWil shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Ty TTy T shared a merged idea: Hotkey enable individual items in bins  ·   · 
    Dave RubinDave Rubin shared a merged idea: Windows + Number Key Usability  ·   · 
    Thomas RyghThomas Rygh shared a merged idea: Hot key support for all Bins icons  ·   · 
    completed  ·  1UP Industries Support1UP Industries Support responded  · 

Good news! This feature has been added to Bins for its next update. WinKey+# will now show the Bin for an application if it has one, and allow for chords (WinKey+##) to directly access items from within Bins. This feature can be toggled off, and ShiftWinKey+# functionality should be uneffected.

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • tommcktommck commented  · 

Thanks for the quick update. Will you please let us know when the next planned release is? I'd love to use this if the hotkey stuff works better

• tommcktommck commented  · 

Seriously, I just bought this at the recommendation of Scott Hanselmann and it's completely useless to me because I don't use the mouse often. It *really* needs to have shortcut key support..

• ezukezuk commented  · 

Strongly agree with this one. Hotkeys are sorely lacking in Bins right now. (I'm reviewing it for a software website and this is one of its few shortcomings).

• Ty TTy T commented  · 

Forgot to mention how it should work: Basically hitting Win+Num would pop up the bin window instead of starting the primary bin app. Then after the bin window comes up, you just enter the number corresponding to your desired apps location. So from left, they would be numbered 1,2,3, etc...

I saw someone mention grids though, so not sure how you do the numbering there. Maybe have it by default start from top left then horizontally across then down to the next row. Or have it user configurable.

Might be annoying to hit an extra key if you really want the primary bin app to be launched most of the time. So maybe have another key in conjunction with the Win key to launch the primary right away (Win+CTRL+Num or something).

• GregGreg commented  · 

I vote for this too. Suggested implementation:
        * Hit Win+1: open first app in first bin.
        * Hit a chord Win+1+1 (hold win then click 1 two times): open second app in first bin.

Feedback and Knowledge Base